Hi everyone! My name is Tashie and it’s really nice to meet you. I’m twenty and from New York City. To give a brief description of myself, I’m super goal-oriented but also hardworking (aka a slytherpuff!) and try to always push myself to chase after my dreams. I’m currently a junior in university studying public relations, but I’m graduating a semester early so I should be done by December 2019, which is both exciting and terrifying. I’m currently an intern at one of the Big 5, and hope to work for one of them after graduating! 🙂
Aside from my career goals, I like to spend most of my time in bookstores (duh) or in a Chipotle somewhere in midtown. I absolutely love pop culture and am far, far too much of a stan to be allowed anywhere in public, but alas, no one is here to stop me. I seriously TALK in stan twitter language OUT LOUD (all of my friends can attest to this, and it’s a horrible habit) but… it be like that sometimes?
I’m writing a YA fantasy titled The Dragon Avenger. In summary:
Seventeen-year-old Lina Emon may be the Phoenix of the Grand Prophecy, but her primary concern is revenge. Four years ago, Prince Halcyon killed her dragon during the Great Dragon Purge, and the king killed the rest of her family. After years of patiently waiting with her late sister’s dragon for the chance to strike back, Lina finally schemes her way into becoming Prince Halcyon’s servant. In the palace, she secures allies and manipulates enemies with the intention of avenging the dragons, reclaiming magic and usurping the throne.
Elements to look forward to include:
- a brown MC based on my own bangladeshi heritage (so it’s #ownvoices!!!)
- she’s a slytherin who’s battling her compassion with her anger and her need for revenge with the prophecy’s need for justice… so you could say she’s a morally grey antihero
- antiheroes and villains galore! I love a book where everyone is simultaneously the hero of their own story while being the villain of someone else’s
- the chosen one trope because BROWN PEOPLE DESERVE TO BE AT THE CENTER OF CHOSEN ONE STORIES TOO
- slowburn ENEMIES TO LOVERS between two slytherins!!!
- the LI (and antagonist) is an iconic bisexual ASSHOLE of a prince who’s dripping in jewelry and a study in gold and has his own motivations
- the LI’s even more iconic lesbian twin sister who’s a huge softie who likes painting and wants to travel and has a huge crush on a different princess bc I want sapphics to thrive
- ok actually I should clarify basically EVERYONE is lgbtq+ including lina who’s pansexual, hal who’s bisexual and legit almost every other character who plays a relevant role (except for the king) because as someone who’s queer, it’s what I deserve
- they’re also pretty casually queer like it’s just… a part of them and it’s super normalized bc lgbtq+ characters deserve stories where they’re saving dragons and fighting for the throne and all that jazz
- lots of asian based rep! it’s a fantasy world so there are made up kingdoms but 3/5 kingdoms are inspired by bangladesh, afghanistan and thailand!! yay
- DRAGONSSSSS. specifically one dragon bc lina has her own but DRAGONS!!!
- magic!!!!!!! so much magic!!!!! different specializations and SPELLS IN BENGALI!!!! i abused the heck out of google translate bc i can speak and understand the language fluently but transliterating is a lot harder than it seems rip
- political intrigue!! everyone wants the throne for a different reason and are constantly trying to outmaneuver each other :)))
- games of chess!!!
- Too Much Tension lmao
If you want to see what Lina and Hal look like… here’s some art!
My comp titles as of right now are THE CRUEL PRINCE meets THE WINNER’S CURSE, re: grey morality, relationship dynamics, and political intrigue. However, the entire concept behind my book was extremely inspired by the show BBC Merlin! If you’ve seen it, I’d basically say Lina is… very similar to Morgana (as in…kind of the villain?)… but instead of being the princess, she’s in Merlin’s position as Arthur’s servant.
That’s all I’ll say for now! Hopefully this interests you. 🙂
WHY WOULD I BE A GOOD MENTEE?
Books are my absolute passion. It’s why I’m using my PR degree to hopefully work in publishing. It’s why I’ve been reading since I learned English in ESL during elementary school. It’s why I’ve been writing short stories that evolved into full length novels since middle school up until now. It’s honestly and truly what I love to do, and it’s what makes me happy, even when I want to rip my hair out because of it.
This book needs help and I’m good at recognizing where I’m wrong. I’m very open to constructive criticism, because I truly believe it makes you a better writer. At this point, I’m open to cutting this entire story open and tossing out half the contents if that’s what will make it better — I just want this to be the best book it can be. I want brown girls to see themselves at the forefront of a story. I want them to realize they can have epic destinies and even if it’s difficult weight to hold, they’ll make it out on the other side. I want that for them, because I wish I had it for me when I was younger.
I also have a very good work ethic, and I work very fast. Like I said before, I’m willing to put in the hours, I’m willing to look long-term and do what needs to be done, and I’m not afraid to get my hands dirty in the process. I love feedback, and I love tweaking my work until it reads perfectly. I’m also a Virgo, so organization is also a huge thing for me. I think having a mentor is what I need to really push myself to the next level, to truly view publishing from the editorial side, and to make this book the best it can be. This is what I want to do, and I hope #AMM can help me on my path.
A LITTLE MORE ABOUT ME (THAT YOU CAN SKIP)
Some of my current interests include musicians such as Harry Styles, Niall Horan, (all of One Direction tbh), Years & Years, and Blackpink. My favorite shows right now are BBC Merlin, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, One Day at a Time, Miraculous Ladybug, She-ra and the Princesses of Power, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Sense8, Sex Education, and ELITE. My favorite movies include Set It Up, Inception, Love, Simon, Ocean’s Eleven, Moonlight, and others I can’t remember now.
For books, I love far too many to name, but ones that come to front of my mind right now include The Wrath and the Dawn, The Winner’s Curse, A Very Large Expanse of Sea, Circe, The Poppy War, The Cruel Prince, The Gilded Wolves, The Kiss Quotient, The Star-Touched Queen, Shatter Me, and Children of Blood and Bone. I definitely have more and am always looking for recommendations, too, so please feel free to message me with any. 🙂
BOOKISH THINGS REGARDING THE DRAGON AVENGER
Hal and Lina’s spotify playlist:
The Dragon Avenger pinterest board:
For anything else, feel free to tweet or DM me at @tashiebhuiyan on Twiter. 🙂 For any other questions regarding #AMMConnect: https://ashleycdarling.com/2019/01/ammconnect-spring-2019/.